Every home needs a strategy to save money out of something. One of the best way to save which we seldom neglect is to save few bucks by using our home energy wisely and accordingly. If you do it right, you'll have good amount for a family holiday. How does it sound?
What can we actually do?
- Have you heard of LED lights? This is now a good choice to use at home as it is "85% less energy and lasts 20 times longer than incandescent bulbs". You can buy one from 80 - 1000 luminosity depending on what room you will put it. The options are endless you just need to be very keen in choosing one that best suits your needs.
- Another no brainer thing to do is to switch off lights and appliances that are not in use. This is often neglected especially when we are too busy with our daily chores.
- Use timers in water and home heating. Switch off heating in rooms that are not needed.
- If you are living in house that doesn't have a double glazed window (even if you are), close the curtains to eliminate the loss of heat at night (especially on winter).
- Have your boiler and other appliances serviced regularly.
- If you play musical instruments at home, make sure to switch off those instruments when not in use, unplug those pianos and digital drums. A simple thing plugged in can consumed 10-20 % energy still.
- Reflect back heat by using foil behind the radiators. In that way, heat is bounced back into room.
- When cooking, put lids over your pots to conserve energy and even reduce condensation in the kitchen. When boiling water for coffee or tea, boil the quantity you just need.
- Be wise in washing clothes. Lowest water temperature is better. To compensate proper cleaning, choose the right laundry soap that will work on cool washing.
- Have a proper ventilation at home. Make sure that there's sufficient fresh air around the house. Open window once in a while to avoid moisture and pollutant build-up.